Navigation

Sunday 12 February 2012

Do-ho Suh

This artist is so underrated in my opinion!

Before going away to Copenhagen, I decided to catch up with any new exhibitions on at some of my favourite galleries. When I was walking around the Tate modern, I stumbled into a room where the entire ceiling was covered in a Transparent Orange Nylon, at the centre of this room was a suspended staircase in the same material.

In some way I found this piece intriguing, the way it was constructed and some of the details it included were impressive, such as a light switch at the base and staircase at top...but not enough to catch my attention fully. Needless to say I carried on walking out of that room and thought nothing of it, until recently!

Many years ago (Too many to remember an exact date now!) I attended one of the frieze art fairs held at regents park! For an art buff like myself, it was like being a kid in a candy store! So many big names and some extremely famous pieces all in one HUGE tent! All for sale! I have thousands of photos from that day, and one particular set of photos always stood out, that of an un-named artist who created miniature figures that stood together to form a sound structure. Stable enough that you could walk on top and amongst them.


        These are the memorable photos from the art fair!


I think by now you'll know what I'm getting at....yes the same artist!

It baffled me how Do-ho Suh could create one piece that is so striking, while the other lacks any real impact! the fault here, i believe is with the presentation!

London, Tate modern
Istanbul, Unidentified

 Look at the difference between the two exhibitions! It pains me to see such an understated piece at the Tate for such a brilliant creator, due to what I can only assume to be, lack of sufficient space!

Annoyingly I remember at the time, in the Terbine hall, there was a HUGE installation of which several images and short movies were being projected upon. This impressive structure would have done well in a smaller space in my opinion, and swapped with Do-ho Suh's work, would have made much more of an impression!







I wont rant on too much about that as it trails of from my actual intension, which is to convey the brilliance of something so simple! (Even better if presented in a way to best promote it!)







If you'd like to find out a bit more about this South Korean Artist, this website has a good interview an examples of his work:
http://www.designboom.com/eng/interview/dohosuh.html

Here are some of my favourites!

No comments:

Post a Comment