Navigation

Sunday 26 June 2011

AND SHE'S BACK!

Massively disappointed with my lack of presence on this blog recently, but it has been an exciting and busy time!
Remember my research into dance!? It has taken a whole new turn and I have loved the results!
Original research and drawings to capture motion and dance.
This is a collection of snap shots taken from studies to do with motion and dance. The aim was to further develop these to become more abstract and fit for a textile outcome. I love the idea of using lines to represent motion, as variations of thickness or a sharp turns can suggest so much!

Visual research:

My initial research was primarily captured through photographic exploration as well as drawing and mark making.
When I was in Paris, I started experimenting with long exposure and light trails to record movement of passing scenery. 

I wanted to see how I could explore this in relation to my project, the challenge was finding a way to record dance in the same way.
Above demonstrates how I have been using light and long exposure techniques, to describe movement.
The aim was to create lines, patterns and blurred silhouettes that could be used as drawing resources. The issue that arose quite early on in this way of investigation, was the limitation of the lines and marks being made. 
Re-evaluation:  What other qualities within dance are both visually stimulating and inspirational for further development?

I realised that the detail I was paying most attention to in dance, was the fabric movement and drape. 
Under water fashion shoots were a great way of capturing fabric engulfing its figures so that it no longer became about the fabric on the body, but how the fabric reacts to its environment in motion.
Photo shoot of fabric in motion
Martha Graham Company 
Martha Graham Company was a great find for this project. Her choreographies were very reliant on the costume being over-elaborate and energetic, accentuating the dances. This is the exact kind of imagery I needed, as it was imperative to convey power and motion in my designs, and to do that, I had to work from imagery that already incorporated this.

Fabric in Motion

I tried plain fabrics and patterened fabrics, as these were going to be used for my drawing research later on.
William Hundley

I came across the artist William Hundley who, aside from other projects, played with fabric in motion. He suspended his fabrics in odd ways and unlikely locations. He used people to wrap the fabric around, and then photograph them as they jumped, ran and fell from specific heights. He was able to create some fantastic folds and shadows, especially with his metallic materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment